The Holyoke House built in 1850 was located at the bottom of Depot Hill along Dwight street between Race and Main streets and was owned by the Parsons Paper Company.
In the Spring of 1890, Parsons, which had purchased the hotel for $32, 500 in 1864, spent another $40, 000 on renovations and changed it's name to the Hotel Hamilton.
The Hamilton was purchased by Joel Russell in 1911 and housed the J. Russell Hardware Store on the ground level of the building.
The hotel closed in 1943 and several years later underwent another round of renovations, including the removal of most of the hotel's top floor. The building was home to many local government agencies up until recently, but is now vacant with it's future uncertain.