More Photos Of The Mt. Tom Railroad
Promo for the Mt. Tom Railroad and Summit House.
A cabinet photo from around 1880 showing a clearing for what would eventually become the trolley route from Mountain Park to the Lower Station of the Mt.Tom Railroad. This is now part of road to the old Mt. Tom Ski Area. (Photo courtesy of the Seminole Bailey Archive)
The trolley tracks entering Mt. Park from the Holyoke city route which originated at the old Post Office on Race Street. (photo courtesy of the Seminole Bailey Archive)
The route worked it's way west on Dwight Street to City Hall, south to Appleton Street, headed west to Pleasant Street, then north to Lincoln Street
It then headed west on Lincoln to Route 5 and north to Mt. Park. In the early days the trolley was the only way to enter the park. It cost 5 cents to take the ride.
A photo of the trolley line that ran between Northampton and Mt. Park. The tracks are seen just above the area between what is now Cedar Hill Road and Route 5. (photo courtesy of the Seminole Bailey Archive)
Trolley in the area of the base of Little Mountain heading back towards Northampton from Mt. Park. (photo courtesy of the Seminole Bailey Archive)
A couple of photos of the original trolley depot and restaurant at Mt. Park. LIttle Mountain and the viewing tower atop it's summit can be seen in the background.
A view of the Connecticut River and the city of Holyoke from the view tower atop Little Mountain.
The trolley line that connected Mt. Park to Lower Station of the Mt. Tom Railroad.
The Mt. Tom Railroad had two cars that took passengers to the Summit House atop Mt. Tom. Here the Rowland Thomas awaits passengers to take the mile long journey up the mountain. (photo courtesy of the Seminole Bailey Archive)
The other car, the Elizur Holyoke leaving Lower Station.
The start of the railroad at Lower Station. This section of track was level for a few yards before ascending the mountain at a 21 percent grade to the summit.
The Elizur Holyoke and Rowland Thomas just passing each other at the "Turn Out".
The Elizure Holyoke at the "Turn Out" heading to the Summit House in the summer 0f 1930. The photo was taken from the Roland Thomas which was heading back to Lower Station. (Seminole Bailey Archive)
One of the cars at the "turn out" heading to the summit.
Looking down the railroad at the "turn out" and Lower Station.
The Rowland Thomas just past the only turn on the railroad.
About three-quarters up the rail...
Two gentlemen standing next to the supply rail car near Upper Station in June of 1934. (photo courtesy of the Seminole Bailey Archive)
The north side of the first Summit House and supply rail in 1899.
Upper Station. Also seen in this photo is the supply rail that was used to bring goods and supplies to the Summit House.