Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
A photo of Our Lady of Perpetual Help church and school on Chestnut street shortly after it's construction in 1923. The church and school were destroyed by a massive fire in August of 1999.
The original building at the corner of Maple and Prospect streets that served as church, school and convent until the early twenties after which it became the school for the Mater Dolorosa parish. The new Mater Dolorosa school built in 1959 now stands on this site.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish which formed in 1890, originally built it's parish at the corner of Maple and Prospect streets.
A building constructed there served as it's church, school and convent up until around 1923 when a new church and school were built on upper Chestnut street.
The former church then became the school for the Mater Dolorosa parish up until 1959 when it was razed to make way for the present day Mater Dolorosa School.
The Church and school on Chestnut street stood for 76 years when on August 29, 1999, a spectacular fire was lit in an nearby apartment building by two juvenile boys.
The fire grew and spread out of control and destroyed numerous apartment buildings, the Loretto House, a home for homeless men and Kates Kitchen a place for needy to get food.
The fire quickly spread to the east of the entire city block and destroyed the church and school.