Saturday, October 31, 2015

Third Mt.Tom Summit House

After fire destroyed the second Summit House in 1929 (the first house was also destroyed by fire in 1901),  a third house was built just north of where the first two houses stood.  It was nowhere near as majestic as the previous houses, just a simple steel frame and corrugated metal sided structure. The house remained open until 1936 when trolley service along with the Mt. Tom Railroad ceased operation, and stood until 1939 when it was scrapped along with the incline rail line.  All that remains today of the third house is a concrete stairway and the concrete foundation blocks on which the house rested upon.

A visitor to Mt. Tom stands in front of the third Summit House in June of 1934. (Seminole Bailey Archive)

No comments: