Empire Theater circa 1910
The Empire Theater was located at 147 High Street between Lyman and Hampden Streets. It was built in the early 1890s by Holyoke businessman L.B. White who was instrumental in developing what is now the Fairfield Avenue historic district.
The building was later purchased by T.F. Murray who represented T.J. Flannagan who operated a wholesale liquor business in the city. The theater continued operations until 1915 when it was destroyed by fire.
For more info on the history of the Empire visit http://holyokemass.com/2011/11/07/holyokes-new-empire-theater/ (Photo courtesy of the Seminole Bailey Archive)