Downtown Holyoke - Early 1900s
The Marble Building built in the late 1800s was originally a hotel, but by 1900 was converted to stores and office space. Child's Shoe store was located here in the early 1900s. The building which was constructed from Vermont Marble, stood at the northeast corner of High & Dwight Streets until the 1950s when it was torn down to make way for the W.T. Grants department store. Also shown in the photo is the Hegy Cleaners building. Between the two buildings was MurrayCourt, where The Bud was located for many years.
Looking north up High Street near the corner of High & Dwight Streets.
A close-up view of the south side of the Marble Building, Murray Court and the eventual home of Hegy Cleaners.
A view taken from the northeast corner of High & Dwight Streets looking south down High.
A trolley heads south down High Street at the intersection of High & Appleton Streets. The original Y.M.C.A. located at the northwest corner can be seen at the left. (Photos courtesy of The Seminole Bailey Archive)